How it all began!
Around the year 1950, four young couples, David and Doris Gerke, Bain and Margaret Jackson, David and Florence Jones and Harry and Juanita Fisher, living in Oakland and actively attending Gospel Auditorium, moved to Pleasant Hill. It was at the Gospel Auditorium that these young couples grew in their love for the Lord and His Church.
Consistent with their commitment to the Lord, these young families gathered in each others homes for prayer and Bible Study and later began to celebrate communion together.
From this first meeting place in their homes, this small but growing gathering move to the Veterans Hall in Walnut Creek. Soon David Gerke saw a "For Sale" sign for a one acre plot of land. R. T. Welch came along and suggested more property and two more acres were added making up the present SVBC property. Mr. Bill Newton drew a sketch of a possible building and a church building program followed.
The building was finally completed and meetings began in 1957. The first elders were believed to be R. T. Welch, and Kirby Taylor. A contest was held to determine a name for the new church. The name that was chosen was Sun Valley Bible Chapel and was submitted by Mrs. Florence Jones mentioned above.
SVBC remains committed to the original vision and passion of these four original families as emphasized in the New Testament:
|•||The headship of Jesus Christ|
|•||Church government of Elder/Pastors and Deacons|
|•||Teaching of the Bible as the living inerrant word of God|
We are looking forward to serving God's people and this community as well as a more complete realization of our Mission. We remain committed to being a loving and friendly church - a place where you are always welcome!